Toogle Menu
Back to Ringmaster...

Top Ten Social Tips for People with Autism

aspergers, autism, disability, diversity, parenting, psychotherapy, special needs, social tips, autism awareness, autism acceptance

Today I’m sharing something from my book, The Ringmaster’s Tale, which is full of funny, sad, poignant and thought-provoking stories as well as lots of great advice about finding the positives when you’re living with autism.
This is a light-hearted look at some of the social situations autistic people can struggle with. I’m sure lots of people on the spectrum will recognise them – we certainly do them all in our house!


Top Ten Social Tips for People with Autism


  1. Never, under any circumstances barring an absolute emergency, speak to anyone on the phone.
  2. Always use the ‘Self Service’ check out at the supermarket to avoid unnecessary human interaction.
  3. If a person has repeated themselves three times and you still haven’t understood them, just nod, give a small laugh and hope to God it wasn’t a question.
  4. Make sure everyone understands that even though you won’t actually attend them, you’d still appreciate being invited to parties.
  5. Resign yourself to the fact that if something amusing occurs to you while you’re alone in a public place, you will have no option but to laugh hysterically for no discernible reason, making you appear to be clinically insane.
  6. Should the doorbell ring unexpectedly when you’re alone in the house, remain perfectly quiet and still until whoever’s there has left.
  7. Spend at least 99% of your time planning witty conversations in your head and the remaining 1% forgetting everything you’d planned to say when the chance to use them arises.
  8. When someone you know approaches you in the street, pretend you’re sending a text and haven’t noticed them, then walk quickly in the opposite direction.
  9. Be continually prepared to have your day ruined by a random passing thought about something embarrassing you said or did several years ago.
  10. Should you ever find yourself at a social gathering, always do your best to locate an animal of some sort and spend the evening petting it to avoid making small talk with other humans.


aspergers, autism, disability, diversity, parenting, psychotherapy, special needs, social tips, social awkwardness, autism awareness, autism acceptance




4 thoughts on “Top Ten Social Tips for People with Autism”

  • Adam

    if you struggle in social situations I often wondered how you’ve managed to put up with me for as long as you have? great Blog


    • Helen

      You’re just totally lovable Adam. There’s nothing to put up with!


  • Clare

    Thank you helen, these are hopefully going to be some good tips to try out.


    • Helen

      You’re very welcome. They certainly can come in handy!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm Helen: Autism advocate, psychotherapist, charity founder, author, public speaker and mum to four amazing children on the autism spectrum. About Helen

UK Autism Blogs


Follow Us!

One woman’s remarkable journey from desperation to hope, successfully parenting four children on the autism spectrum.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. Read our privacy policy